Pacific Rim Work




I have been very fortunate to have the opportunity to work with some of the most creative and talented individuals in the world at Industrial Light and Magic. After spending 3.5 years supervising the Digital Matte Panting group in Singapore, I returned to the San Francisco office.

My first project right off the plane was Pacific Rim, under the show supervision of John Knoll and super talented DM supe Johan Thorngren. I have to say- this was the most fun I've had on a project in a long time.

Most of my work is in the Hong Kong sequence (and a bit of hangar work the first time we see Gypsy Danger). I was responsible for modeling, texturing, and lighting the Hong Kong Des Voeux street portion of the asset. Another artist that spent a great deal of time working on another section of Hong Kong was another great artist by the name of Tim Warnock.

The outstanding work by the team was nominated for a VES award (though lost out to Gravty).

In this video you will see breakdowns of the section I worked on (the area where Gypsy Danger is draging the oil tanker down the street) and the slug fest that takes place there.

The final renders and detail changes (signs and other text) were done by another great artist Quentin Marmier (I had to jump onto the Lone Ranger before the show Pac Rim wrapped)



P.S. Sorry for being M.I.A. for so long. The Experiment is very much alive and going through a very exciting phase. Stay tuned.


1 comments:

  1. It's amazing seeing the physics behind all of that and how the scene gets layered. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete

 

Blogroll

About Me

My photo
Hello, I'm Bryant Griffin and I've been a matte painter at ILM for the past 10 years. Welcome to my blog.

About

This is my journal documenting the development of a sci-fi/adventure Cinematic Graphic Novel- my personal little project. Thanks for visiting.